Our Journey of Faith, Hope, Courage, and Strength

Our Journey of Faith, Hope, Courage, and Strength

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Finding answers

I was annoyed talking to the genetic counselor this morning. Bryce had a very different impression. He thought she was very tactful, respectful, and diplomatic.  She was, but I felt like I was being pried open. I didn't want to share anything meaningful and just kept it very superficial. I have never met the counselor before, seen her picture, or even talked to her before today.  I felt like I was on a customer service call, but that we were talking about my life and cancer.  I'm not one to be offended easily, and I'm usually very open to sharing, but not to some person on the phone I've never met before.  I wasn't rude, but I got off the phone feel very annoyed and involuntarily exposed.  Thanks insurance for requiring a genetic counseling appointment to run my genetic test.    
Felt good about a lot of things today. Have results back and a lot of finality to some questions. My oncologists said very tactically he wouldn't get pregnant. (Good thing considering he's a dude). :)  Pregnancy would feed the very thing that's feeding my cancer and the idea scares him. (It has scared me too and is what Bryce and I have felt the last couple of weeks.) Coming to terms with it and closing that chapter is difficult. It's helpful to have a medical opinion that supports those feelings, as well as spiritual confirmations.  I liked this second oncologist and think I will go with him.  He's in Provo which is nice and very aware of the current research and seemed to know a lot more (or at least shared a lot more than the Huntsman oncologist) regarding the things Bryce and I are interested in (genetic profiling of my tumor, personalized medicine, etc.)  Still same treatment plan as the SL oncologist, but I felt he was more aware and open to novel findings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment